4-H is a community of young people across America who are learning leadership, citizenship, and life skills. The four-H's stand for: Head, Heart, Hands and Health. They represent the four points of the 4-H pledge: clearer thinking, greater loyalty, larger service, and better living.
4-H is the youth development program of the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service conducted by Virginia Tech and Virginia State Universities. It is an informal, hands-on education approach focusing on building lifelong learning skills that develop youths' potential through community clubs, special-interest groups, camps and in-school programs. Projects cover subjects ranging from citizenship, foods and health, to animal sciences. These are "learn-by-doing" programs for youth ages 5-19.
Virginia Beach 4-H Junior Camp
Virginia Beach's 4-H Junior Camp is a residential experience for boys and girls ages 9-13. Held at the Airfield 4-H Center in Wakefield, VA, a 285-acre property with climate-controlled lodges, a lake, and trained counselors, this five-day experience will help kids build a variety of skills and lasting memories. Next year's 4-H Camp is July 29 through August 2, 2019.
- Five-day overnight camp
- Boys & Girls ages 9-13
- Cost: $350.00 (fee includes T-shirt, meals, lodging, special activities, programs and transportation)
- Transportation provided to and from Building 14 at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center
Give your child or family member the gift of 4-H Camp this holiday season!
Camp Millionaire uses an innovative day camp format to provide rising 7th and 8th graders with the financial decision-making tools they need to achieve financial independence. Through fun-filled games, activities, group exercises and a field trip to a local credit union, kids learn how to be responsible for their own financial futures. Camp Millionaire will be held June 17-21, 2019.
Virginia Junior Master Naturalists Day-Camp
Junior Master Naturalists is a environmental day-camp program open to children and teens that would like to expand their environmental science backgrounds as well as acquire skills in preservation, stewardship, and leadership. Youth Members 8-13 will have fun outdoors, learn about nature and become environmental stewards. Teen members 14-18 will grow their confidence and leadership skills, while delving deeper into nature-related topics, mastering naturalist skills, and sharing their knowledge with the youth members.
Other 4-H Camps
Virginia Beach 4-H Clubs are organized groups of youth led by trained adults, with a planned program that is carried on throughout the year or most of the year. Each club meet in a select location, have elected officers, and a set of rules approved by the membership to govern the club.
The purpose of 4-H clubs are to foster and promote enthusiasm and support for participation in 4-H programs, events and activities within the club meeting as well as outside the local club, to foster and enhance to 4-H club meeting as an important learning experience for youth, as well as the caring adults working with those youth, and to encourage long-term involvement in 4-H for enhanced positive youth development.
Our Virginia Beach 4-H Clubs:
- 4-H Craft Club
- 4-H Foragers Beekeeping Club
- 4-H Guardians of the Planet
- 4-H Livestock Club
- 4-H Military Clubs
- Fort Story Knight Riders and Cloverbud 4-H Clubs
- Golden Leaves and Barley Buds 4-H Clubs
- Lucky Charms 4-H Club - Midway Manor
- Urban Knights and Underwater Cloverbud 4-H Clubs
- 4-H Top Shooters Shooting Education Club
- Seahorse Riders 4-H Horse Club
- Wave Riders 4-H Horse & Pony Club
4-H enrichment projects offers "learning by doing" curricula that covers an array of topics from leadership development and citizenship to aerospace and computers. There is a resource of ready-to-use programming for youth in the following 4-H curriculum areas:
- Animal Sciences
- Communications & Expressive Arts
- Natural Resources & Environmental Education
- Family Sciences
- Foods, Nutrition & Health
- Careers & Economic Education
- Leadership & Personal Development
- Plants, Soils, & Entomology
- Science & Technology
Popular Virginia Beach 4-H Projects:
The 4-H Ham Project is an annual "hands-on" educational meats project to salt cure whole hams.
The Ham Project begins in January at the Virginia Beach Farmer's Market to start the ham curing process. After several weeks, the hams will be moved to three smokehouses in Virginia Beach where the project will continue. The project runs from late January and ends with a ham show and display at the Virginia Beach 4-H Livestock Show and Sale in May/June.
New for 2019, priority registration will be open to youth participants ONLY until December 10, 2018. After the priority registration deadline passes, adult registration will be available until full. Please note this year, that due to smokehouse space, we are having to limit the ham project to 200 hams. Hams are limited to 2 per person (Cloverbuds, ages 5-8 are limited to 1 ham).
A $20.00 payment is required for each ham ordered with registration form OR online submission. Please make check or money order payable to “VB 4-H Livestock, Inc.” We do not accept credit card payments. Online registrations are taken on a first-come, first-served basis with payment being received at 4-H Ham Project, P. O. Box 6524, Virginia Beach, VA 23456.
Any questions can be emailed to: email@example.com.
- 2019 Ham Project Registration Packet
- Online Registration (Optional) - Registration is held based on date the $20 check is receieved.
- Dry Curing Virginia-Style Ham
- Processing Meat in the Home
- Meat Curing - OSU
- Care and Cooking of Hams
- Selection and Care of Knives
- How to Debone Cooked Ham
- Cooking Salt Cured Hams
4-H Embryology: "The Beginning of Life" Project
The "Beginning of Life" 4-H project is designed to help youth obtain a better understanding of life and embryonic development. 4-H educational materials guide students through each step of the hatching process from preparing the eggs for incubation to building a brooder for the newly hatched chicks. These educational materials address Standards of Learning (SOL’s) for math, science, English, life science, and computer technology. 4-H will provide fertilized eggs, guide you through training, support you during the hatch, and then collect the chicks to be sent to a local farm.
Contact the 4-H Office is you wish to be placed on the e-mail list for 2019.
4-H works with volunteers to involve youth and children in an educational learning experience that results in effective for each individual. The four H's each represent an area of learning.
- Head-Mental Development. Deeper knowledge and reasoning
- Heart-Emotional Development. Developing interest, appreciation, and wholesome attitudes.
- Hands-Skills Development. Ability to do, skill in doing, and habit of doing.
- Health-Physical Development. Understanding and appreciating a growing and changing body.
4-H Adult Volunteer Leader's Association
This organization is open to adult 4-H volunteers and adult 4-H club leaders who are interested in keeping up-to-date on 4-H Clubs and programming in the City of Virginia Beach. Meeting time is 6:30 p.m. at the 4-H Office.
Meeting dates are the following:
- February 18, 2019
- April 15, 2019
- September 16, 2019
- November 18, 2019
4-H Adult & Alumni Conferences
4-H Conferences are held periodically for adult volunteers and 4-H alumni to attend specific 4-H training and workshops. Upcoming conference registration information will be posted as it becomes available.
- 2019 4-H All Star Midwinters Conference - February 2-3, 2019, Charlottesville, VA
- 2019 4-H Adult Volunteer Leaders Association Spring Conference - March 30-31, 2019, Williamsburg, VA
- 2019 4-H All Star Interstate Celebration - July 18-21, 2019, Morgantown, WV
The Virginia Beach Extension Office sends the Clover Clips bi-monthly newsletter to all current 4-H'ers and adult volunteers enrolled in the Virginia Beach 4-H program. Articles in the newsletter cover current 4-H topics, programs, camping opportunities, other upcoming events and individual 4-H Club news.
- Dec 20 - Guardians of the Planet 4-H Club Meeting
- Jan 6 - Waveriders 4-H Club Meeting
- Jan 7 - Seahorse Riders 4-H Club Meeting
- Jan 8 - 4-H Craft Club Meeting
- Jan 10 - Top Shooters 4-H Club Meeting
- Jan 15 - Foragers 4-H Beekeeping Club Meeting
- Jan 16 - Show and Sale Committee Meeting
- Jan 17 - Guardians of the Planet 4-H Club Meeting